Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Regional Forums > Springfield

Old 11-06-2012   #1
Derek
New User

Performance alignments, tire mounting and balancing

I just read this thread about alignments in the Springfield area. I would like to revive/extend this topic.

Where do you all like to go for alignments, particularly for cars that get track time? The previous thread mentions Firestone on MacArthur, so I plan to at least talk to them. Based on some research I plan to try zero toe front and back. And eventually I will probably upgrade my suspension and sit slightly lower.

Also, how about tire mounting and balancing? In particular, I'm interested in what Tire Rack refers to as "match mounting". According to them, this requires Hunter tire balancers. Does anyone know who has this equipment in Springfield?
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012   #2
19Accord97
CICENet Posting Master

I worked at the Firestone in Pekin and didn't hear many bad things about the techs down there. Just ask for their best alignment guy when making the appointment and they usually will follow through with that.

BTW, if you go for the lifetime alignment the $179.99 price is bs. They can go as low as $149.99 if you ask/say the $180 is to much.

As far as mounting Firestone usually only uses Hunter for balancers and alignment racks,not for mounting.
19Accord97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #3
trojmn
CICENet Senior Guru

I believe TR is reffering to roadforce balacing.

1 Stop Auto Shop in Sheman has a roadforce balancer. I used the regular balancing when I had my 2 r1r's mounted there last month for $32 total including disposal.

I'd give them a call.
trojmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #4
illinipo
CICENet Posting Master

Match Mounting: There is a yellow dot on the tire. Easy way that is slightly inaccurate is to put the yellow dot at the valve stem. You don't need fancy equipment for that. You just need a tech that isn't lazy (surprisingly difficult to find).

The roadforce balancers are pretty cool and very easy to use. They can also tell you which position to put each tire based on the overall diameter (tread depth).

What kind of car is this? If it is RWD I can't recommend zero rear toe after doing some research and experimentation.

Also, if you change the ride height, you will need another alignment.
illinipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012   #5
Derek
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinipo View Post
Match Mounting: There is a yellow dot on the tire. Easy way that is slightly inaccurate is to put the yellow dot at the valve stem. You don't need fancy equipment for that. You just need a tech that isn't lazy (surprisingly difficult to find).
I hear that, I constantly struggle to find decent service for just about anything!

Quote:
What kind of car is this? If it is RWD I can't recommend zero rear toe after doing some research and experimentation.
This is an Audi S4, therefore all wheel drive. I should spend some more time researching what alignment for these cars before I actually have it done. So far I've at least learned that getting rid of the toe-in at the front will help reduce understeer at the expense of highway stability, which I'm willing to try. Beyond that, I am tempted to get into the ability to perform my own alignment, but we'll see how brave I get.

Quote:
Also, if you change the ride height, you will need another alignment.
Yeah, my suspension upgrade won't be for quite some time though. At this point it is just a twinkle in my eye.
Old 11-06-2012   #6
Skid Marx
CICENet Guru

Derek I'm from Springfield and I autocross. I have had good luck with lauterbach's
Skid Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012   #7
Derek
New User

Update:

I have not spoken with 1 Stop Auto, Firestone or Lauterbach yet, but I did visit Springfield Tire and Alignment and chatted with Mike. I got a good feeling from that place, it seems like the sort of place that takes time to do a job correctly rather than rushing jobs through. Mike knows what autocross is, which is a nice start. He said that he can setup my alignment however I would like it to be. I also asked him about "match mounting". They do not have the road force balancing equipment, but he said that if the wheels are in good shape (not out of round) then his balancer will give good results.